Saturday, August 1, 2015

Going on Pointe as an Adult

     So this post is about the troubles we may face as adult late starters in the world of ballet. Most girls go on pointe somewhere around the age of 11 or 12. For me, I am 23 and this is my first time on pointe. There are plenty of 11 and 12 year olds in my pointe class at studio, but I don't let this discourage me. Most of them are way ahead of me as well, but that is only to be expected.
      The best thing the late start adult ballet beginner can do is set goals. This summer it was my goal to be able to do pirouettes on pointe. And through hard work and dedication, I have accomplished this goal. At first, I was attempting them from fourth, but my teacher later informed me that it was actually easier from fifth. And whadya know? She was right! pirouettes on pointe are waayyyy easier from fifth. So if you are trying to learn pirouettes on pointe, try them from fifth. Remember to always push with your entire leg, really drilling it into the ground, but lifting from your abdomen. She also always yells at me "hip over ball of the foot" and i think i get what shes saying, but actually feeling it with my body is another story

Anyways.. so that was my summer goal :3 and now it is time to go for doubles.

P.S I am also working on my fouette and a la seconde turns on demi pointe. They are okay :x

No comments:

Post a Comment